July 8, 2013

Spanish Rice




I love LOVE LOVE Spanish rice!  I make this at least once a week.  It's muy Bueno! 



RECIPE 

2 TBL Butter (or oil)
1 C. White Rice
1 1/2 C. Chicken Broth
1/2 C. Salsa
1 1/2 tsp Tomato Bouillon
1/2 tsp Chili Powder

*Rinse and strain the rice.  Heat butter in a skillet, add rice and saute until the rice is a deep golden brown.  Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.  Cover and reduce heat to low.  Let the rice cook for 30 minutes.  Fluff with a fork.



Tips:

*1 cup of rice can feed up to 5 adults (as a side dish).  Just half the recipe if there's only two of you for dinner, otherwise you'll waste a bunch of food.  It's never as good the next day :(
*I don't always rinse my rice-if you're in a hurry or forgot to do that step, it won't ruin your rice.  
*I have tried canned tomatoes, tomato paste and tomato sauce in place of salsa and (in my opinion) salsa wins.  I always have it on hand and nothing goes to waste.  I've tried using homemade salsa and it doesn't turn out the same.  I prefer store bought.
 *I buy Better Than Bouillon- so unless I make my own broth, I always use water and add some of this.

 *The tomato bouillon can be found with the Hispanic foods.  This is worth buying.  It's a few bucks and will last a long time.  (If you don't want to buy it or don't have it on hand, you can omit it from the recipe-the rice will still taste good.)
 
*I have electric heat, so I turn the burner off at 25 minutes and leave the pan sitting on the residual heat for another 5 minutes.  The golden rule for rice is to NEVER take the lid off while cooking and total cooking time is 30 minutes. 
*Many recipes have you start on the stove top and finish baking in the oven.  I did that once and hated it.  The stove top is easy and less energy.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment