July 23, 2013

Pico de Gallo and Guacamole




I make "pico" and "guac" with almost every Mexican dish.  They're staples.  They both take the same seasonings so it's fast and easy.  You can follow a recipe, but really it should be done by taste.  I put a basic recipe for both so you have something to follow, but honestly, you can't really mess them up.

  

  Pico de Gallo

3 (large) Roma tomatoes
1/2 C. chopped white onion
1/2 C. cilantro (loosely measured)
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 lime, juiced
Kosher salt and pepper (to taste)
1/8 tsp Mexican Oregano (or regular)

Chop tomatoes, onion and cilantro.  Mix everything together (do a taste test), cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.  Like I said, add more of this or that to make it what you want.  If you like a little "heat" add some minced jalapeno.  



Guacamole

1 Haas avocado
2 tsp lime juice
dash of oregano
1/8 tsp garlic powder
Kosher salt and pepper (to taste)


Mash the avocado with a fork to desired consistency (I like mine with little chunks).  Add seasonings and mix well.  Do a taste test and serve immediately.

Tips:
  • We call this the "alligator" chopper!  I look for any opportunity to have my boys help out in the kitchen.  They LOVED using this thing.  If you don't have one, no worries- you can use the prehistoric knife!  This chopper is nice when you're making a lot of pico for a get-together.
  • :


  • The Haas avocados are the big boys- buy a couple of the smaller ones if it's cheaper.  Avocados have a very short window (2, maybe 3 days max) when they're ripe and ready to use.  There's 3 things to check to know when they're ripe: 1.color- they'll go from green to black 2. firmness- they'll give a little when pressed 3.the little bud at the top should come off easily.


  • Sometimes I'll put chopped tomato in with my guac.  I know a lot of people like to add sour cream- I personally love the flavor of the avocado all by itself.  
  • Salt is a key ingredient to guac.  If it doesn't taste quite right, you probably need to add more salt.  You can easily overdue it though, so add a little at a time.  If you're making it as a dip, remember the chips will add salt too.
  • I don't always have fresh limes on hand (especially during the winter) so more often than not, I use the bottled lime juice.  

No comments:

Post a Comment