September 30, 2013

7 Layer Dip





I don't know how you are, but I like having something in the fridge I can snack on during the day.  (My husband likes that too!)  This is a favorite at our house.  When I was assembling the layers, my mother came over and asked, "Did you do something different with it?"  Nope- I like the good old fashioned seven layer dip.  Some things don't need to be changed.


RECIPE

30 oz can re-fried beans
1 TBL water
3 avocados
1 TBL lime juice
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp Kosher salt
1 C. sour cream
1/2 C. mayonnaise
2 TBL taco seasoning
1 1/2 C. shredded cheese (I used pepper jack & cheddar)
4 green onions, chopped
1-2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
2.25 oz can sliced olives, drained 

*Mix the beans and water together and spread in an 8X8 clear pan or round dish.  Mash the avocados together with the lime juice, garlic powder and salt- spread over the beans.  Mix the sour cream, mayo and taco seasoning together and spread over the avocado layer.  Spread cheese, then green onions, tomatoes and olives.  Cover and chill until ready to serve.

Tips:
  • Don't get fat free sour cream- it won't hold up as well.
  • I didn't use all the olives- the whole can was too much for our taste.  I saved the rest for enchiladas.
  • I put mine in a cheesecake pan so I could take the pictures without having the sides covered.  It turned out really cool.  It would work for a party if it gets eaten quickly.  I just lined the sides of the cheesecake pan with wax paper.  I lightly coated the paper with cooking spray to make it stick to the pan.  Layer the dip and when ready to serve, carefully pop the side off and peel the wax paper away.  It worked perfectly.  (Didn't think to take pictures cause I wasn't sure if it would work.)

No comments:

Post a Comment