July 10, 2013

Pudding Cookies {Chocolate Chip}


I made these cookies one night (just after returning home from the store) and realized I only had butterscotch pudding. I was mad at myself for not checking before I had gone to the store.  (I make that mistake ALL the time.)  But I had already started the dough, so butterscotch it was.  Then I went to add the chocolate chips and something didn't smell right.  I looked at the bag and, sure enough, I had accidentally bought Cinnamon Chips.  When did they come out with those?  Aargghhh.  Only I could start out making chocolate chip cookies and end up with butterscotch cinnamon! 

But this recipe is fun because you can mix and match the flavor of pudding and baking chips.  For example, I had a friend who used pistachio pudding and white baking chips.  She called them Shrek Cookies!  My mother-in-law is a chocolate lover so she does chocolate pudding and dark chocolate chips.  During Christmas time I love Vanilla pudding and Andes Mint Chips.  I usually make the regular chocolate chip version since that's my families favorite- but be creative. 



RECIPE

4 C. Flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
6 oz Instant Vanilla Pudding
1 1/2 C. Butter, softened
1 C. packed Brown Sugar
1/2 C. sugar
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla
3 Eggs
1 bag Chocolate Chips

* Heat oven to 375.  Whisk the flour, baking soda and pudding together and set aside.  Cream butter, brown sugar and sugar together.  Add the eggs and vanilla.  Add the flour mixture and mix until everything is well combined.  Add (and mix in) chocolate chips.  Lightly spray a cookie sheet.  Roll 1 TBL of dough into a ball.  Place 12 cookie balls evenly on the cookie sheet and bake for 7-8 minutes, turning half way thru.  Transfer cookies to a cooling rack.  Makes 6 dozen cookies. 




Tips:

  • I use a cookie scoop- that guarantees all my cookies will be the same size so they'll bake correctly.
  •  Getting the right consistency to the dough is important.  Start with 4 cups and if you think it needs a little more flour, add another 1/4 cup.
  • ALWAYS set a timer and don't forget to turn them half way thru.  Check the cookies at 7 minutes.  30 seconds can make or break your cookie.  Error on the side of under vs over cooking.  The tops should have a light golden color- like this: 
  •  
  • Since this recipe makes so much, I usually bake 2 dozen and refrigerate the remaining dough (because cookies have a short shelf life in my opinion).  That way we can make fresh cookies during the week.  You can also freeze the dough- roll them into balls first, put them on a cookie sheet and freeze for 30 minutes, then place them in a freezer bag and throw them back in the freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment