July 29, 2013

Basic Buttercream Frosting




I'm using this picture to lure you in!  The cupcakes look scrumptious- right?  Well, sorry to disappoint, but they look better than they tasted- and it was the frosting's fault.  I hate frosting that tastes like your eating powdered sugar from the bag.  I should have known better when I saw the ingredients were just butter, powdered sugar and vanilla- but my friend promised they were amazing.  She's not my friend anymore......just kidding!  With cupcakes hitting the spot light lately, I did set out to find a better frosting recipe.

The original recipe was: 1 stick butter whipped until creamy-add in 1 tsp vanilla and 3-4 cups powdered sugar.  The only benefit to this kind of frosting is it's really stiff so it's pretty when you pipe it- like the picture.  I thought it was heavy and much too sweet- I wanted something light and fluffy.......

..........so I tried adding 1/2 C. shortening and 2 tsp milk to the same recipe and that little change made a big difference.  I whipped the frosting on high for ten minutes to make it light and airy.  (This is done best in the Kitchen Aid so you can turn it on and walk away).  Still piped well and the powdered sugar flavor wasn't so overwhelming..........but...

........ my favorite recipe is the one below.  Adding 1/2 C. Heavy Whipping Cream was the secret ingredient.  It's a much softer, more delicate frosting.  You can still pipe it onto cupcakes but you won't get quite the definition like the stiff stuff.  Hopefully you can see the difference in the picture below.  It almost looks like it's going to melt, but it will air dry and set.  I did a taste test with my neighbors and this won -it really is the best. 






RECIPE

1 stick softened butter (unsalted)
1/2 C. Shortening
1 tsp Vanilla
1/4 tsp Salt
4 C. Powdered Sugar
1/2 C. Heavy Whipping Cream


*Whip butter and shortening together until fluffy.  Add vanilla, salt and powdered sugar.  Whip until all the sugar is blended in (It should be really dry and stiff).  Add the heavy cream and whip on high for five minutes.


Tips:
  • It makes about 3-4 cups.  Double the recipe if you're decorating a large cake or a lot of cupcakes. This made enough for 24 cupcakes.
  • Add more powdered sugar to get the desired consistency (and taste).  If you need a stiffer frosting, just use less cream or take it out completely.
  • If you don't have cream, substitute 2 tsp milk and make sure you whip it on high for 10 minutes.
  • I added 2 TBL cocoa powder to the recipe to make a chocolate flavor- (add 1-2 TBL more cocoa to taste.)  
  • I've seen a lot of recipes that call for almond extract.  I love that flavor- you can put 1/4-1/2 tsp in.  Extracts are expensive, so don't buy it just for frosting.
  • Refrigerate leftovers.  Thaw for 15-20 minutes before you use it again.  Put your cupcakes in the fridge after frosting them to help the frosting set.
  • Practice piping on a sheet of wax paper before you start on the cupcakes.  You can scoop up your 'practice runs' and put it back in the bag so you don't waste anything.
  • Use the largest tip you have when frosting cupcakes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment