August 27, 2013

Sweet Onion Vinaigrette




OK- I admit I was skeptical about trying this dressing when first introduced to it.  My mother-in-law was telling me about it and all I heard was 'onion' and 'vinegar'.  Hmm.  But one bite and I was a goner.  Ranch and I broke up and this vinaigrette has been my favorite dressing ever since.





RECIPE

1/2 small onion, chopped
1/2 C. Red Wine Vinegar
1 C. sugar
2 tsp ground mustard
1 tsp salt
2 tsp poppy seeds, toasted
1 C. Canola Oil


* Place all ingredients except for the oil in a blender and blend for 1 minute.  While it's still blending, slowly pour the oil in.  Use immediately on salads and refrigerate leftovers for up to four weeks.  Let the dressing sit for 15 minutes after coming out of the fridge, and stir it before using.  My favorite salad is below:

Salad
Red leaf lettuce
Toasted slivered almonds
Craisins
Parmesan Cheese
Texas Toast Seasoned Croutons
Grilled chicken breast
Sweet Onion Vinaigrette

Tips
  • This dressing is good with almost any salad combination.  I've even tossed it with some angel hair pasta before.
  • You don't have to add the poppy seeds, but it adds a little flavor and beauty.
  • It's best to use (dry) ground mustard, but if you don't have any on hand, substitute Dijon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment