November 6, 2013

Wassail {Hot Spiced Apple Cider}



When I was out trick-or-treating with my boys, we passed some women sipping from mugs, which I thought were filled with hot chocolate.  (Why don't I remember to do things like that???)  But as we crossed, the scent of apple cider filled the air- it made me think of wassail.  My husbands family makes this every Thanksgiving Season.  It's spiced NOT spiked (which is good because the family is crazy enough)!  It's traditional to serve it warm, but my boys like it chilled, mixed with Ginger Ale.


RECIPE

4 C. water
2 1/2 C. sugar
2 cinnamon sticks
8 all-spice berries
10 whole cloves
1 tsp fresh ginger (just peel and cut off a small chunk)
4 C. orange juice
2 C. lemon juice
64 oz. apple juice

*  In a large pot, mix water and sugar together and bring to a boil.  Boil for five minutes then turn the heat off.  Wrap the cinnamon, berries and cloves in cheese cloth and place them in the sugar water.  Cover and let it sit for one hour (set a timer cause you'll forget about it.)  Remove the spices and throw them away.  Add the remaining juices and bring it back to a boil.  Simmer for a few minutes until it's heated through.  Serve warm.

Tips:
  • It makes a lot, so refrigerate any leftovers.  Warm it back up on the stovetop.
  • Set a timer so you don't forget to remove the spices.  You don't want to leave them in longer or it makes the drink too spiced (in my opinion).

No comments:

Post a Comment