September 2, 2013

Orange Glazed Zuchinni Bread





So one of my most embarrassing moments happened this summer when I was visiting a friend.  I told her how I started a food blog and blabbered on and on about how I love to cook.  Her daughter brought in some zucchinis and handed them to me.  "Oh, I love zucchini-there's only one thing to do with zucchini and that's zucchini bread.  I have the best recipe.....blah, blah, blah."  When I was all done, my friend said, "I think those are cucumbers."  (Awkward moment of silence.)

This is my favorite cucumber zucchini bread recipe!






RECIPE

2 C. grated zucchini
3 eggs
1 C. sugar
1 C. brown sugar (packed)
1 C. oil
1 TBL vanilla
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
3 C. flour
1 TBL cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 C. chopped pecans (optional)

  * In a large bowl, whisk all the dry ingredients together (from salt down to nuts).  In another large bowl, beat remaining 'wet' ingredients together until well combined.  Pour the flour mixture into the wet mixture and beat just until all the flour is incorporated- don't over mix.  Pour the batter into 4 greased and floured mini bread pans.  Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Run a knife along the edge of the pan and let the bread rest (in the pans) while you whisk the glaze together.

Orange Glaze

2 C. powdered sugar
3-4 TBL milk
1 TBL vanilla
1/4 tsp orange extract

*Whisk all ingredients together and pour the glaze over the breads (so they're completely covered).  Let the glaze air dry before carefully transferring to a cooling rack (your fingers will get a little sticky).  Let the breads cool before cutting and eating.





Tips:
  • I put the zucchini in a food processor and pulsed it until it was pretty fine.  I had to do 2 batches, scrapping down the sides a few times until everything was chopped uniformly.  I've used a hand grater before- but decided I like the zucchini ground up more.  I think it makes the bread a little more moist when it's chopped that fine.
  • Don't overcook the bread- start checking it at 38 minutes.  Mine took 39 minutes.  Cooking it too long dries out the bread.
  • You can drizzle the glaze on the bread like the picture above if you want that look.  Half the glaze recipe if you choose to do it that way.  Transfer the bread to a cooling rack before you drizzle the glaze on.  (I prefer full coverage- it keeps the bread really moist :)
  • You don't have to put the orange extract in the glaze- I like that hint of orange in mine, but I have family that prefers it without.  If you don't have extract, use 1-2 tsp orange juice. 
  • I freeze zucchini after I've chopped it in the food processor.  I pre measure it so I know I have 2 cups.  When you thaw it out to make bread later, you'll notice there's liquid inside the bag from the zucchini.  Don't get rid of that liquid- that's moisture for your bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment